Stone tiles are quarried products such as granite, limestone, marble, slate, quartzite, and travertine. In other words, they are not factory-made or fired. This means they are unique, and no two pieces of natural stone are similar, and they may vary in color, shade, voids, veins, and density. Therefore, it is a common practice to wax, grind, or fill them to make stone surfaces flat and diminish some of these variations. However, these variations reflect the unique beauty of natural stones and never distort the material's functionality.
Advantages of Natural Stones
- DURABILITY: Natural stones will not fade; indeed, looks better with age and forever elegant. It is an anti-aging beauty!
- UNIQUENESS: No two stones are exactly the same since it is not humanmade.****** ( Natural stone exhibits a durability not found in other building materials. There is an emotional connection to buildings and monuments built in stone that carries a great deal of meaning due to enduring history and a legacy of mankind through the ages.) or (Design projects should stand out and reflect the passion, taste, and personality of the designer. Natural stone is a one-of-a-kind building material that sets you apart from others because it can’t be mimicked, manufactured, or faked.)
- VARIETY: The diversity of natural stone products encourages limitless design potential. Aesthetically, what you do with stone is as varied as your imagination. Its many factors in the way stone formed within the Earth contribute to its varieties and enhance the creativity it provides – something that cannot be duplicated in a laboratory or come from a mold.
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS: Tile Trader lists its natural stones at very reasonable prices.
- WORKABILITY: Natural stones can be trimmed and chiseled without losing any color.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: It is easily maintained with water and natural cleansing products, whereas destroyed with manufactured products. So natural stones are inherently organic and healthy!
CARE & MAINTENANCE OF STONE TILES
Due to the above characteristics, while cleaning, it is highly recommended you place mats in the entryways to avoid tracked-in dirt, which can be abrasive to the floor surfaces.
Resulting from normal wear and tear, cracks and void may appear on the surfaces of natural stones, which can easily be restored by applying floor grout and epoxy. Making natural stones less prone to wear and scratching is possible with a regular maintenance regimen. Regular maintenance will increase the resistance of your natural stone to scratches and wear. When it comes to cleaning, using powder cleansers or creams may result in scratches. Similarly, using acid cleaners including vinegar, or strong alkaline agents, may do a similar harms. Therefore, Keystone recommends cleaning stone tile surfaces by wiping with a soft cloth or mopping stone surfaces with warm water, natural soap, or a pH-balanced natural cleaner. In case any juices or acidic spills on the surface, immediate action must be taken to wipe it in the way described to avoid likely acid burns and staining since acid-based foods and liquids can etch into the polish of particular stones such as marble. Using squeegees in shower areas and using coasters on countertops are effective in preventing alkaline and soap-scum buildup. You can also consider hiring a licensed maintenance company for the regular maintenance of your natural stones.
What is The Difference Between Sealed and Unsealed Stone Tile?
All natural stone surfaces need to be sealed since stone is a naturally porous material and can absorb bacteria, food particles, and liquids that we use throughout our home. Therefore It is recommended that all natural stone surfaces indoors, especially in the kitchen sealed soon after the installation and periodically with a quality impregnating sealer, which can penetrate stone, allowing it to breathe and still keeps the beauty of natural stone shine through. However, Keystone recommends buyers to discuss the necessity of sealing their surfaces with the contractor/builder since products and applications are all unique and should be customized. Licensed stone restoration companies can be consulted for recommendations and further information.